Dr. Michelle Segar - Why we need to shift to the JOY CHOICE. | Brought to you by Trade Coffee (https://drinktrade.com/passionstruck) and Babbel (https://babbel.com/passionstruck).
Dr. Michelle Segar is an award-winning, NIH-funded sustainable behavior change researcher at the University of Michigan and a lifestyle coach. She is the author of the best-selling book No Sweat: How the Simple Science of Motivation Can Bring You a Lifetime of Fitness. For nearly three decades, she has pioneered methods to create sustainable healthy behavior change that is being used to boost patient health, employee well-being, and gym membership retention. On April 26th, she released her latest book the Joy Choice: How to Finally Achieve Lasting Changes in Eating and Exercise, which the Big Idea Club selected as one of their 22 books they cannot wait to read in 2022. She also wrote the bestselling book No Sweat. She is a sought-after expert and is frequently featured in major media like the New York Times, NPR, Forbes, and Prevention.
The Secret to Sustainable Behavior Change
On the Passion Struck Podcast, Michelle and I discuss how optimal living 101 and how the secret sauce to sustainable behavior change is the consistent choices that we make throughout our day. If we want to achieve sustainable change, lasting change, where we need to put our attention is on these micro choices.
The Joy Choice: https://amzn.to/3MTAVTc
No Sweat: https://amzn.to/39MFIHZ
Thank you for listening to this interview. I hope you also keep up with the weekly videos I post on the YouTube channel, subscribe to, and share your learnings with those who need to hear them. Your comments are my oxygen, so please take a second and say 'Hey' ;).
-- ► Subscribe to My Channel Here: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles
* Babbel is the new way to learn a foreign language. Save up to 60% off your subscription when you go to https://babbel.com/PASSIONSTRUCK.
* Enjoy great coffee with Trade. Get a total of $30 off your first order plus free shipping when you go to https://drinktrade.com/passionstruck.
* Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck
- 0:00 Announcements and introducing Dr. Michelle Segar
- 4:41 Michelle's passion for the creating healthy behavior change
- 8:32 Why the Joy Choice is about the power of micro choices
- 12:13 Defuncting the myths about habit change
- 17:10 Why our life is like forever blowing bubbles
- 21:37 How to learn to accept that being perfectly imperfect is fine
- 27:00 Overcoming the perfection rabbit hole
- 31:50 Behavior change is not starting and stopping. It is sustaining.
- 36:32 Overcoming the Tornado of TODOs
- 41:00 The POP tool for enabling adult play
- 47:42 The four core decision disruptors - Temptation, Rebellion, Accommodation, Perfection
- 56:00 The Wonder Women Effect
- 59:20 Why we need to be giving grace
- 1:01:30 Show wrap-up and synthesis
Stay Connected with Dr. Michelle Segar
* Website: https://michellesegar.com/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/MichelleSegar
* LInkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/michellelsegar/
* University of Michigan: https://positiveorgs.bus.umich.edu/people/michelle-segar/
* Interview with Susan Cain
* Interview with Astronaut Nicole Stott
* Solo Episode on the Power of Choice: https://passionstruck.com/the-power-of-choice-why-our-choices-are-powerful/
* Solo Episode on Why Accepting Yourself is the key to your life: https://passionstruck.com/why-accepting-yourself-is-the-key/
*Solo episode on work-life balance: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7AZksXySbYVoMPMuma5DpB?si=_VPv5sn3QBCq2pYVh-LXkg
*Solo episode on overcoming burnout: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5keAXxjRs3Q8NKZYWBlPXS?si=N-nf0iQjThSzgsCAutPVPA
*Solo episode on how you stop living in fear: https://passionstruck.com/how-do-you-stop-living-in-fear/
Follow John on the Socials:
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://passionstruck.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
* Gear: https://www.zazzle.com/store/passion_struck/
-- John R Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.