Gretchen Rubin - The Key to Happiness Is Knowing Yourself | Brought to you by Babbel (https://babbel.com/passionstruck and Trade Coffee (https://drinktrade.com/passionstruck).
Gretchen Rubin is an expert on understanding human nature and being able to explain complex emotional topics in easy-to-digest ways. She is the author of the New York Times bestsellers, The Happiness Project, Better Than Before, Outer Order Inner Calm, and Happier at Home. Gretchen has an enormous readership, both in print and online, and her books have sold almost three and a half million copies worldwide, in more than thirty languages.
The Key to Happiness is Knowing Yourself
On her popular weekly podcast Happier with Gretchen Rubin, she discusses good habits and happiness with her sister Elizabeth Craft; they’ve been called the “Click and Clack of podcasters.” Fast Company named Gretchen to its list of Most Creative People in Business, and she’s a member of Oprah’s SuperSoul 100. She’s been interviewed by Oprah, walked arm-in-arm with the Dalai Lama, and eaten dinner with Daniel Kahneman.
On the Passion Struck podcast I discuss with Gretchen the life lessons she learned clerking for Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor. How during that clerkship she realized that her purpose was to become a writer and not a lawyer. How the study of human nature became her purpose and the key to knowing yourself. The difference between happiness and being happy. Her views on how negative experiences influence our happiness. The importance of decluttering our lives and why doing so brings us more joy, building habits, the key role they play in building happiness and so much more.
* Babbel is the new way to learn a foreign language. Save up to 60% off your subscription when you go to https://babbel.com/PASSIONSTRUCK.
* Enjoy great coffee with Trade. Get a total of $30 off your first order plus free shipping when you go to https://drinktrade.com/passionstruck.
- 0:00 Announcements and introducing Gretchen Rubin
- 4:20 Clerking for Justice Sandra Day O'Conner
- 6:29 What led Gretchen Rubin to be a writer?
- 9:15 Why understanding human nature became Gretchen Rubin's passion
- 10:43 The keys to knowing yourself
- 14:08 The difference between happiness and being happier
- 15:59 Happier with Gretchen Rubin podcast
- 23:15 The important role of negative experiences
- 26:44 How does one identify the priorities in their lives?
- 32:30 Don't reject your life, change your life
- 34:30 The role of habit formation on happiness
- 37:30 What are the two types of expectations we all face?
- 42:50 Gretchen Rubin's the happier app 46:00 Disproportionate connection between outer order and inner calm
- 48:00 Rapid Round of Questions
- 51:30 Episode wrap up and synthesis
Stay Connected with Gretchen Rubin
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gretchenrubin/
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GretchenRubin
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/gretchenrubin
* LInkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gretchenrubin/
* YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/GretchenRubinNY
* Happier App: https://thehappierapp.com/
Links from the show
* Books by Gretchen Rubin:
* Interview with Susan Cain
* Interview with Astronaut Nicole Stott
*Solo episode on work-life balance: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7AZksXySbYVoMPMuma5DpB?si=_VPv5sn3QBCq2pYVh-LXkg
*Solo episode on overcoming burnout: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5keAXxjRs3Q8NKZYWBlPXS?si=N-nf0iQjThSzgsCAutPVPA
*Solo episode on how you stop living in fear: https://passionstruck.com/how-do-you-stop-living-in-fear/
Follow John on the Socials:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
- Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
- Blog: https://johnrmiles.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast
- Gear: https://www.zazzle.com/store/passion_struck/
-- John R Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.