Liz Fosslien - Big Feelings: how to be okay when things are not okay. | Brought to you by Raycon (https://buyraycon.com/passionstruck) and Athletic Greens (https://athleticgreens.com/passionstruck).
Liz is an expert on how to make work better and the co-author (Mollie West Duffy) and illustrator of the books Big Feelings and No Hard Feelings. Liz also leads content and communications at Humu, a company that uses behavioral science to make it easy for leaders and their teams to improve. Her work has been featured by TED, The New York Times, The Economist, The Financial Times, and NPR.
Overwhelmed by Big Feelings
Uncertainty. Anger. Despair. Envy. When you’re overwhelmed by big feelings, it can seem like you’re the only one who is struggling. But having difficult emotions doesn’t mean you’re malfunctioning. It means you’re human. Weaving surprising science with personal stories and original illustrations, each chapter of the new book Big Feelings examines one uncomfortable feeling—like envy, burnout, and anxiety—and lays out strategies for making it manageable.
Big Feelings is an insightful and approachable Illustrated Guide to Handling our most difficult emotions
Thank You to Our Sponsors
- Raycon is a wireless audio brand that enables inspirational audio experiences. With an unapologetic willingness to shatter industry norms, they are priced half of that of their competition.
Get 15% on Raycons at https://buyraycon.com/passionstruck
- This episode of Passion Struck with John R. Miles is brought to you by Athletic Greens. Athletic Greens is a health and wellness company that makes comprehensive daily nutrition really simple. ONE scoop contains 75 vitamins, including multivitamins, multi-minerals, probiotics, and immune-supporting mushrooms. Get a free one year supply of Vitamin D3/K2 and five travel packs at athleticgreens.com/passionstruck
Follow Liz Fosslien
- Big Feelings: https://amzn.to/3Kbo9Ob
- No Hard Feelings: https://amzn.to/3kcr7Y6
- Susan Cain Interview: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5rTEjH4FJn7iBuvu0FOSB2?si=h9PE1CUQTK2lcAdVGLrBow
- Claude Silver interview: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4SXKbsbfYQWlBNPdRn1c5k?si=VZdrjNJSTuiJU1hQ_xXjeQ
- Solo episode on work-life balance: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7AZksXySbYVoMPMuma5DpB?si=_VPv5sn3QBCq2pYVh-LXkg
- Solo episode on overcoming burnout: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5keAXxjRs3Q8NKZYWBlPXS?si=N-nf0iQjThSzgsCAutPVPA
- 0:00 Liz Fosslien introduction and announcements
- 4:25 Why we are taught that feeling bad is bad.
- 11:58 The big reveal.
- 15:34 Why Liz felt it was so important to write Big Feelings.
- 19:34 Why our self-narrative both helps and hurts our identity.
- 22:02 Why it is becoming harder for people to find balance and alleviate burnout.
- 25:13 The importance of post-traumatic growth
- 9:22 Effortless Perfection and Susan Cain's Bittersweet
- 36:56 Detaching your self-worth from what you do for work
- 46:10 The big feelings assessment
- 50:14 How to let go of what you can’t control.
- 54:21 The topic of uncertainty, the myths around it, and how you work through it.
- 57:49 We discuss her popular Instagram page.
- 1:01:58 Show wrap up.
Follow John on the Socials:
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://passionstruck.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
* Gear: https://www.zazzle.com/store/passion_struck/
-- John R Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.