John R. Miles - How do you stop living in fear and letting it control you. Fears are not just passively forgotten, they must be actively unlearned. Brought to you by Raycon (https://buyraycon.com/passionstruck) and Athletic Greens (https://athleticgreens.com/passionstruck).
The Neuroscience Behind Fear
We need to realize that fear is just an emotion that is utterly dependent on our thoughts at the end of the day. It does not have to control our lives and can be effectively unlearned. Fear is a complicated thing. In today's episode, I will be taking you on an in-depth journey into the world of the emotion called fear, explaining the neuroscience of fear, giving you details on how fear is learned, and equipping you with knowledge on how you can effectively unlearn fear.
Thank you for listening. I hope you keep up with the weekly videos I post on the YouTube channel, subscribe to, and share your learnings with those who need to hear them. ► Subscribe to My Channel Here: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles
Your comments are my oxygen, so please take a second and say 'Hey' ;).
This episode of Passion Struck with John R. Miles is brought to you by Raycon and Athletic Greens.
- Raycon is a wireless audio brand that enables inspirational audio experiences. They are priced at half of their competition with an unapologetic willingness to shatter industry norms. Get 15% on Raycons at https://buyraycon.com/passionstruck.
- Athletic Greens is a health and wellness company that makes comprehensive daily nutrition really simple. ONE scoop contains 75 vitamins, including multivitamins, multi-minerals, probiotics, and immune-supporting mushrooms. Get a free one-year supply of Vitamin D3/K2 and five travel packs at https://athleticgreens.com/passionstruck.
- Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck.
- 0:00 Introducing episode on unlearning fears
- 4:33 How did British Olympian Adam Peaty learn the fear of the water and overcome it?
- 7:31 The evolution and psychology of fear
- 9:29 The neuroscience of fear
- 10:50 The science of how fear is learned
- 12:35 How do you unlearn fear?
- 15:58 Fear does not have to control our lives
- 17:25 Episode wrap-up and synthesis
Links on Unlearning Fear
* Watch my video with Liz Fosslien on her new book "Big Feelings:" https://youtu.be/pKupqaUlPpo
* Big Feelings: How to be Okay When Things Are Not Okay: https://amzn.to/3rYeJiO (Amazon Link)
* Laurie Singer's Book: You're Not Crazy: Living with Anxiety, Obsessions, and Fetishes: https://amzn.to/3Koz47l (links to Amazon)
* My interview with Laurie Singer on Why There is Hope: https://passionstruck.com/laurie-singer-on-why-youre-not-crazy/
* Dr. Marie Fang's video on learned helplessness: https://youtu.be/YOJBL8uLT2U
* Click Here for the Transcript: https://johnrmiles.com/unlearn-fear-why-fears-are-not-just-forgotten/
* 9 Simple Ways to Create Work-Life Balance: https://passionstruck.com/create-work-life-balance-9-simple-ways/
* Baby Elephant Syndrome: https://ourlegacyfoundation.org/baby-elephant-syndrome/
*Learned Helplessness at Fifty: Insights from Neuroscience: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4920136/
* PLOS One research: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0249056
* American Psychological Association research: https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2001-18225-005
* Are you having trouble prioritizing yourself? John discusses the importance of self-love in Episode 104
* John explains why materialism is impacting your success and happiness in episode 96.
* Do you know the science of healthy habits? John explores this in-depth in Episode 108.
* Suppose you missed our interview with Jen Bricker-Bauer on Everything is Possible. Don't panic! You can catch up by downloading it here.
* How do you strengthen your relationship with your best self? Explore episode 110.
Find John on the Socials:
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://passionstruck.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
-- John R Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.
John is the host of the Passion Struck Podcast, a show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world's highest achievers to learn their lessons to living intentionally. Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact.
Stay tuned for John's latest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022. Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com.
New to this channel and the passion-struck podcast? Check out our starter packs which are our favorite episodes grouped by topic, to allow you to get a sense of all the podcast has to offer. Go to Spotify or https://passionstruck.com/starter-packs/.
Like this? Please join me on my new platform for peak performance, life coaching, self-improvement, intentional living, and personal growth: https://passionstruck.com/ and sign up for our email list.