In this episode, I tell the story of Kieran Behan and, through his account, review the science of creating healthy habits, unhealthy habit elimination, and how the process of neuroplasticity (brain rewiring) facilitates habit formation.
I describe the role of the prefrontal cortex, which is grounded in the neuroscience of brain states and our ability to insert conscious effort, intention, and thought into the process. I also discuss neuroplasticity, also known as neural plasticity, or brain plasticity, and the neural networks' ability to change through growth and reorganization.
I then dive into how you create healthy habits and what makes habits stick using gymnastics and Kieran's story to help illustrate the points. I offer seven suggestions based on science that should help anyone create better habits and eliminate bad habits for fitness, relationships, school, career, and more--indeed, becoming empowered in the task of creating meaningful, prosperous, and productive habits. Once the habit formation cycle is formed, you can confidently creep closer and closer to your goals.
Our Patreon Page: https://www.patreon.com/passionstruck
Thank you to our sponsors:
- MAGIC MIND. Get 20% off https://magicmind.co/passionstruck; use code passionstruck.
- ATHLETIC GREENS. Get a one-year supply of vitamin D and five travel packs https://athleticgreens.com/passionstruck.
- SURF SHARK. Get 83% off Surf Shark VPN and three extra months free https://surfshark.deals/passionstruck; use the promo code passionstruck.
Thank you for watching this video. I hope you keep up with the weekly videos I post on the channel, subscribe to, and share your learnings with those who need to hear them. Your comments are my oxygen, so please take a second and say 'Hey' ;). -- ► Subscribe to My Channel Here: https://www.youtube.com/c/JohnRMiles
* Atomic Habits by James Clear: https://amzn.to/3gQJpN9
* Momentum Dash: https://momentumdash.com/
* Lifetick: https://lifetick.com/
* Goalify: https://goalifyapp.com/en/reach-your-goals/
* Habitbull: http://www.habitbull.com/
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/Milesjohnr
* Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrmiles.c0m
* Medium: https://medium.com/@JohnRMiles
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/john_r_miles
* LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/milesjohn/
* Blog: https://passionstruck.com/blog/
* Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/passion_struck_podcast/
- 0:00 Introducing habits and new programs
- 3:36 Athletic Greens,SurfShark
- 6:54 The story of gymnast Kieran Behan
- 11:32 Magic Mind
- 13:07 Neuroscience process of habit formation
- 14:15 Neuroplasticity and how neural pathways work
- 15:40 How to choose and develop healthy habits
- 16:39 Tool 1: practice mindfulness and meditation
- 17:15 Tool 2: understand the habit loop
- 17:50 Tool 3: find an accountability partner
- 18:28 Tool 4: reflect and improve
- 18:51 Tool 5: practice habit stacking
- 19:39 Tool 6: make habits realistic and achievable
- 20:26 Tool 7: be consistent
- 20:48 Conclusion & Synthesis
-- John R Miles is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and founder of Passion Struck. This full-service media company helps people live intentionally by creating best-in-class educational and entertainment content. John is also a prolific public speaker, venture capitalist, and author named to the ComputerWorld Top 100 IT Leaders.
John is the host of the Passion Struck Podcast, a show focused on exploring the mindset and philosophy of the world's highest achievers to learn their lessons to living intentionally. Passion Struck aspires to speak to the humanity of people in a way that makes them want to live better, be better and impact.
Stay tuned for John's latest project, his upcoming book, which will be published in summer 2022. Learn more about me: https://johnrmiles.com.
New to this channel and the passion-struck podcast? Check out our starter packs which are our favorite episodes grouped by topic, to allow you to get a sense of all the podcast has to offer. Go to Spotify or https://passionstruck.com/starter-packs/.
Like this? Please join me on my new platform for peak performance, life coaching, self-improvement, intentional living, and personal growth: https://passionstruck.com/ and sign up for our email list.